NUR258_Assessment 3_student number
Assessment 3: Clinical Case Study
College of Nursing and Midwifery, Charles Darwin University
NUR258: Mental Health Theory and Practice
NUR258 Assessment 3: Clinical Case Study
Due date: Within 10 working days of completing your clinical placement
Length: 2000 words ± 10%.
Contribution to overall grade: 40%
Extensions: Extension requests to be made through the extension portal, with evidence.
Extensions will not be granted for work/study commitments or having back to back
placements. Requests must be made before the due date.
1. Examine approaches to mental health practice including strengths-based and
recovery orientated approaches across the lifespan and in diverse contexts.
2. Demonstrate person centred mental health assessment, and design nursing care
interventions based on the person’s lived experience within their cultural context
drawing on best practice evidence.
3. Plan nursing care that includes safe medication management, addresses risk
assessment and demonstrates understanding of psychopharmacology.
4. Analyse ethical and legal concepts that inform nursing practice in mental health
settings and the implications for diverse populations.
● A minimum of 15 high-quality, credible references.
● 1.5 spaced using Arial or Calibri font in size 11 or 12.
● Use the template provided, including the subheadings.
● Use appropriate professional terminology.
● Do not use abbreviations or nursing jargon/shorthand.
● Write in an essay style and use academic English.
● Do not use dot points.
● You can write out assessments (the MSE, risk etc) using headings and short
● Assessments that are more than 10% over or under the word count will incur a 10%
penalty of total grade.
○ Included in word count:
■ In-text citations
○ Not included in word count:
■ reference list
● Ensure the client is not identifiable. Pay particular attention to avoid a level of detail
about unique signs and symptoms or circumstances so that a person working with
the client, a friend or family, or community member, would be able to recognise
– Use APA 7th referencing style.
– A minimum of 15 high high-quality, credible references.
– The majority of your sources should be peer-reviewed journal articles.
– Do not use private websites, your health facility’s website, or information leaflets.
– Sources must be from 2012-2022 (maximum 10 years old).
– Plagiarism, including poor paraphrasing, may result in significant penalties and will
be recorded on the CDU system.
– Check the similarity report on learnline after submission. You can resubmit as many
times as you need until the deadline.
– Do not share your work with others.
Please complete the assessment task on the next page.
Your task is to write a clinical case study on a client that you meet on placement. You will do
so by using parts of the clinical reasoning cycle. The word count for each section is only a
guide and indicates how much information to provide. A brief example has been provided in
each section to help you. Do not copy this example.
There are a total of 5 steps to complete, and each step is numbered according to its place in
the clinical reasoning cycle.
Step 1: Consider the patient situation (100 words)
– Provide a brief overview of the patient’s situation
– Focus on why they have come in for treatment or review.
You can include their mental health diagnosis if there is one. If they have multiple diagnoses,
you are to focus on one. Ensure this diagnosis is one of the mental health conditions we
have studied in NUR258.
Jane Doe is a 27-year-old female who lives at home with her parents, and two siblings. She
was brought into the emergency department on 16/07/22 after she barricaded herself in
her bedroom and refused to come out. When her parents tried to enter, she threatened
them with a knife and stated that God had instructed her to stay in her room and pray.
Ambulance officers were called and had to restrain her and administer 5 mg of droperidol
to sedate her. Doctors are querying schizophrenia, but further investigation is required.
Step 2: Collect clues/information (500 words)
– Discuss your client’s relevant clinical history.
– Using evidence, outline why this history is relevant to their current mental state,
treatment, and/or outcomes.
– Identify one to two (1-2) priority nursing assessments that you conducted with the
client. You will lose marks if you discuss more than 2 assessments.
– Using evidence from your research, discuss these assessment results.
Jane Doe is a University student, and previously worked as a casual at a bar. Up until 6
months ago, she had a high level of functioning. However, in the last 6 months she has
started to withdraw from others. One month ago she quit her job, and began spending
more time in her room. She has also stopped going to class, and has become increasingly
superstitious and religious. Her parents report frequent mood swings and insomnia.
This decline in functioning is characteristic of the prodromal phase of schizophrenia (Jones,
2020). This phase is characterised by a decline in functioning, and changes in mood and
behaviour which precedes the onset of psychosis (Smith, 2019)….
Jane has a very supportive family… This is relevant because outcomes are improved for
people who have more supportive families (Jones, 2022). In fact, a study by Kaur et al.
(2016) found that people experiencing psychosis had a faster recovery and were less likely
to relapse, if they had a family who was involved in their care, and non-judgemental….
The first priority assessment was a mental state exam MSE and the results were as follows:
Appearance: Slightly dishevelled and wearing a large hoodie, despite the hot weather….
The second priority assessment was a risk assessment. The risk assessment focused on risk
of suicide, self-harm, and harm to others. This is particularly relevant since Jane was hiding
knives in her room and threatened. The risk assessment looked at protective and risk
Step 6: Take action (700 words)
As per step 6 of the clinical reasoning cycle, you need to identify one to two (1-2)
recovery-focused nursing interventions. You will lose marks if you discuss more than two
interventions. You should:
– Identify the intervention.
– Discuss why you have chosen this intervention and the evidence for its use (i.e your
– Discuss how it will help your client, and/or how it aligns to your client’s goals.
– Discuss how this intervention aligns to the recovery model.
– Take a critical view. That is, look at both the strengths and limitations of this
The first intervention is cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT). CBT is an evidence-based
treatment which is beneficial for people experiencing symptoms of psychosis. According to
Jones (2022) CBT can…. CBT is especially relevant to Jane because… CBT is a
recovery-focused intervention because….
Step 7: Evaluate outcomes (200 words)
Provide a brief overview of your client’s outcomes. That is, discuss their progress, their
perspective, and their current treatment plan.
Jane remains an involuntary inpatient in the mental health unit. She has made some
progress and reports that she feels less paranoid and better able to cope with the voice
that she hears. She is currently taking quetiapine, but the Doctors are considering
changing her to olanzapine…
Step 8: Reflect on process and new learning (500 words)
Step 8 of the Clinical Reasoning Cycle requires you to critically reflect on what you have
learned and what you might do differently next time. You can use personal pronouns here.
You should discuss:
– What you did well with this client
– What you would do better next time, including research you need to undertake
– How caring for your client has challenged your assumptions or led to insights into
– Any legal or ethical issues you encountered
– Consider the impact of recovery orientated approaches on your client, and/or in
mental healthcare in general.
You can use the Gibbs Reflective Cycle to help frame your discussion if you wish to.
How to use Gibbs Reflective Cycle
Gibbs' Reflective Cycle – Helping People Learn From Experience (mindtools.com)
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need this assignment or any other paper?
Click here and claim 25% off
Discount code SAVE25