Answer all of the questions (you can use the internet to help you if you want but you need to find quotes from the text to support your answers).
1. What is the purpose of the preface to the first edition? Why did Walpole then choose to write a second preface later? Is the purpose and function of the second preface the same as that of the first? If not, what is different?
2. Does Walpole attempt to lend his novel a sense of realism? Does the author betray himself in any was by referring to the novel, in the second preface, as a "romance" (p. 19/43)? Or is the word "romance" used for some particular purpose?
3. Who is the protagonist? Who is the "hero"? Is there a hero in the usual sense?
4. Are the characters round or flat? Credible or not? Work out brief character sketches of the main characters, including observations about their psychological constitutions.
5. Does the novel have any controlling principle, any moral, intellectual, or philosophical theme?
–Is it sufficient for Walpole to say, in the assumed role of editor, that the novel's moral is "the sins of the fathers are visited on their children"?
–Was the novel written, then, merely to expand and expound upon this moral?
6. Why did Walpole write the novel anyway? What's his point? What was he trying to accomplish?
7. How does The Castle of Otranto appear to relate to "sentiment" and sentimental writing? What devices are employed to generate emotions of pity and terror (and/or others) in the audience? List some examples.
8. Is the novel best regarded as melodrama? Provide some evidence pro or con.
9. What are we to make of the conclusion? Is it all too neat, too formulaic, too convenient? What is the actual relationship of Theodore and Isabella at the end? Do they marry?
10. What is the point of all the twists, turns, and revelations in both plot and characters? How important are surprise and suspense to this sort of fiction?
11. What is the purpose of this novel (and others like it)? How does the Gothic novel generally seem to relate to the development of the English novel?
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need this assignment or any other paper?
Click here and claim 25% off
Discount code SAVE25